For prospective instructors:
I am Renko Kuroda, president and founder of Tomodachi-USA. Tomodachi-USA is a service for Japanese students who want to learn English and improve their international communication ability at home using Skype. The service is provided by a Hawaii-based International education and International exchange promoting company, R&NOCKEY, LTD.
I graduated from Shidler College of Business, University of Hawaii. The reason why I founded Tomodachi-USA is to help American students and Japanese students. Many Japanese students are not good at speaking English because they have few opportunities to communicate with native English speakers even though they learn English at school. Therefore, I aim to connect both students in Japan and instructors in America in order to encourage a give and take between them. In addition, I will be very happy if the students and instructors in both countries will be able to promote good relationships and Tomodachi-USA will provide the opportunity for international understanding and exchange.
If you become an instructor with us:
- You can work at home in your spare time. (You are required to work at least 5 hours a week.)
- You can share aspects of your culture, etc. with Japanese students.
- Since the lesson is one-on-one, you can easily control the content of the lesson.
- Since no fixed texts are used, you can freely determine the contents of the lesson.
- You can gain experience teaching English.
- You can supplement your income.
What we do:
one-on-one online language classes (“free conversation”) for beginning-level Japanese students who want to improve their conversational ability.
No lesson planning or preparation required!
anywhere you can use Skype.
Working days and hours:
you can freely determine (preferably, in consideration of the time difference between your state and Japan).
You must be available at least 5 hours per week (10 times slots per week at 25 minutes per session). The following times (Hawaii time) tend to be the most requested times by Japanese learners:
- Fri. & Sat. 9:00 p.m. ~ 2:00 a.m.
- From Sun. to Thu. 2:00 p.m. ~ 2:00 a.m.
You can help Japanese students improve their speaking ability through friendly free talking.
- Pursuing or completed BA in ESL, SLS, Education or related degree
- Highly fluent in English.
- Familiar with Skype communication.
- Cheerful, friendly and respectful to students to promote good relationships.
- Patient enough to teach beginners (if you accept beginners).
- Flexible enough to cover some of the topics listed below:
- daily conversation, food, fashion, games, animation, outdoor activities, movies, business communication, idioms/pronunciation, politics, economics, science, sports, study abroad, and travel/sightseeing.
- University students who have at least a 3.0 GPA in their university courses and clear pronunciation, active or retired professors and teachers, or bilingual speakers of English and Japanese.
- Instructors will be paid between $12 and $16 per hour.
How to apply:
Please fill out the following form and click the button at the bottom. Within a few days, we will contact you by e-mail.